Sunday, August 8, 2010

Sweet Sunday Fred in Flight

It's time for this week's Sweet Sunday Sketch, SSSC80. You'll find the sketch on Karen Giron's blog The Sweetest Thing.

I'm accumulating a healthy collection of new, still uninked, stamps, so I thought I'd dig into that pile for today's card. Fred the Bear in Flight from MFT was calling out to me. I wanted to make a card for my flight instructor because he's been such a great instructor and has gotten me to the point that I did my very first solo flight this past Friday! It was so awesome!!!!! Thanks Paul!

So I gave Paul the card on Friday after my flight (which was successful, by the way, since I'm here typing this! LOL!!!). He's so funny...he still marvels at the dvd tin I decorated a while back, so I knew he'd appreciate a hand-made card...and his reaction did not disappoint! I stamped Fred with Memento Tuxedo Black onto Choice Snow White and coloured him with copics. I added a light coating of white liquid appliquee to the fur trim and gave his goggles a shiny coating of clear Glaze pen. The patterned papers are an eclectic mix...the plaid is from Farm Fresh, the map is from Thrift Shop, and the airplane paper is a digi paper from the Flight of Fancy kit from The Digi Chick. I was thrilled to see that all the colours worked perfectly together!! I added some white felt clouds that I cut out with my Cloud Trio Die-namics then finished the card with a couple of SU corduroy brads.

Here I am beside the plane, grinning from ear to ear, after my solo flight.   :)

I hope you'll play along with this week's sketch and link your creation on Karen's Blog. Now let's go see what the rest of the Sweet Sunday Stampers created.
Jen Tapler
Joanne Basile
Laura Fredrickson
Lynn Put
Sarah-Jane Kale'
Vicki Burdick
and Karen Giron

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

24 comments:

Laura (scrapnextras) said...

Cute cute cute! Love the addition of the clouds and the corduroy buttons...awesome texture!

chris said...

Hi Karen, You clever Lady, in every way, you should be very pleased with yourself what an achievement,just got to get those flying hours in now, I bet you will think along the lines of fly or craft, decisions, decisions, and what a choice you have got.

I bet your instructor was thrilled with your card as it is so gorgeous, it really is.
hugs chris xx

Denise Marzec said...

Wow, girl, congrats on the solo flight!!...that's AWESOME!

Love Love LOVE your card....Fred is adorable, beautifully colored, and I just love those clouds (should have bought those dies!)!

Lynn Put said...

That's really impressive that you know how to fly, wow! Your card is so adorable and your coloring is perfection! Love the floating clouds and corduroy buttons!

Karen Giron said...

I'm just in awe! You rock!! Not only do you make the most fabulous card, but you can fly your own plane - alone!

Sarah-Jane Kalé said...

Gasp!! GASP!!! The little one for the card... actually no make that a big one and the BIG BIG one for flying!!! You're AMAZING!!!

xx SJ

Pam Speidel said...

DITTO to what the others have said!! I'm in AWE too! This card is just PERFECT in every way! Love the image, your coloring ROCKS, and the dp and embellishments take it over the TOP!! Congrats on your solo flight too! I can't even imagine the THRILL! :)

Ann Kranitz said...

Way to go on the Solo Flight!!! That is so awesome and exciting and I am sure your instructor loved this card. What is not to love. It is perfect!!!

Robin McK said...

KAren - this layout is amazing, and such a CUTE card!

Bonnie said...

Love your card Karen and congratulations on your solo flight!! My hubby owned a J-3 Cub which he flew for years from our landing strip - lots of worrisome take-offs and landings!! (but that's just me) stay safe and have fun!

Vicki Burdick said...

This is super cute Karen! Congrats on your solo flight, I would be scared to death!!!

Janet said...

super cute card! when are you gonna fly out this way and pick me up ;) lol
hugs

Carolina said...

Eek ~ love the card...the liquid applique is brilliant! Pardon? Brilliant? Yes, I said brilliant!!! Thanks for sharing the pic of you with your plane...such a wonderful milestone to meet! Hugs & Smiles!!!

Jessie/knightrone said...

SO totally cute!!

Sparkplug17 said...

Such a darling card!

Kerry Johnson said...

Wow - Congrats Karen!! Love all your details - the map paper, the clouds! Just so adorable and perfect!

B said...

OMG, that's so awesome! The solo flight that is... but the card is awesome too! :) Love the bear over the pp! And the fun touches are just perfect!

Jodi Collins said...

This stamp is PERFECT for you Saucy! LOVE the colors and your coloring! You look SO cute next to the plane! What an inspiration you are my friend!!!

Ida said...

Totally FUN and definitely CUTE!!
Congrats on the Solo Flight.

Meahni Pieterse said...

Hey Karen, I am so in awe of you learning how to fly, man that is impressive! Well done with your first flight, it must've been better than anything you have ever done.
Of course your card is gorgeous, really cute image and great colouring.
take care
Meahni

Jodene said...

This is one adorable card Karen! I am sure your instructor loved it.
And congrats on your first solo flight, I can't even imagine how exciting that would have been!

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the flight Stamper K, I'm so excited for you.

And, oh by the way, your sweet Fred Bear card is being featured on the MFT Blog today!

Jen Tapler said...

What!?! You fly planes? Are you crazy? Don't you read the news? LOL. Ok, I won't mention the news and small aircraft...I prefer not to think about it. Actually, (and this is really REALLY terrible, if we just consider statistics, you should be good for awhile, right?). OK, anyway, the card is absolutely adorable. But I'm really here to badger you. I saw your comment on Charmaine's post with her digi scrap layout. I'm not going to stop bugging you about this until you play along with the Scrappy Sunday challenges at Papercraft Planet...just sayin'. ;-)

Anonymous said...

The card is perfect especially for your new flying craziness!!! But you are an inspiration girl!