Monday, November 16, 2009

Center of Attention Product Spotlight - Mini Binder Box

Today some of the Baker's Dozen are spotlighting the Mini Binder Boxes available at Taylored Expressions. They're purpose is for stamp storage but you'll see plenty more ways to use these fabulously sturdy Mini Binder Boxes.
For my project I decided to start a collection of 'Family Favourites' recipes. Wouldn't this make a wonderful shower gift for a new bride? You'll see that I only have two recipes done so far, but that's because I have to get my mom to write down some of my faves instead of just telling me "add some of this and some of that until it looks/feels like this"...ugh! I can't cook that way! Oh, and when I called her to get her super amazing secret recipe for Strawberry Freezer Jam, she told me to look on the inside of the Certo package because it's printed there...seriously?...way to burst my bubble Mom! LOL!!!

If you've never seen one a Mini Binder Box, let me tell you a bit about it. It's made of sturdy clear plastic with a clear plastic film that wraps right around the outside of the binder so you can insert a cover and spine and they're protected. The box is about the size of a hard-cover book, measuring 9.5 inches high by 7 inches wide and has a thickness of 1.25 inches. There's a latch on the outside to keep the Mini Binder Box closed.
Three 'binder' rings on the inside to hold your pages in place. The Mini Binder Box will hold four stamp sets.
But I also use my Mini Binder Boxes to store my Nestabilities. I saw this idea out in blogland and it's perfect for my storage needs. Simply adhere a magnetic sheet (from your local craft store) to the Plain Storage Panel and arrange your Spellbinders dies. I've got about 30 sets of dies in one binder box...a storage miracle if you ask me!

Now on to my Family Favourites recipe box.

I made my cover insert the same size as my recipe cards, with a finished size of 8.5 x 5.75 inches (which is the same size as the Plain Storage Panels). I also kept dimension to a minimum because I wanted to be able to easily slide the cover under the protective wrap, and I'd like to fit as many recipes as possible into my Mini Binder Box. I used my Just Rite Times Roman lower case font to spell out the title and paired it with my September 20th Key Ingredients (after all, the patterned paper is called Kitchen Spice...what could be more perfect!!!).
For the Lemon Meringue Pie recipe card I used the lemon from Chillax, along with some Bo Bunny polka dot patterned paper.
To keep a little consistency in my recipe cards I'm going to back them all with Prism Suede Brown Dark. The images and recipes are on Choice Snow White. Oh, and if you happen to try this pie recipe (it's a lot easier than it sounds) you'll never go back to the boxed lemon pie filling...ever!
For the 300 Stroke Chocolate Cake recipe card I used my September 20th Key Ingredients again and stamps from For the Love of Cupcakes.
This is THE best birthday cake...requested by everyone in my family, and again, so easy to make that you'll never make a boxed cake again. I think the secret is in how much in needs to be mixed, or in the olden days, it needed to be stirred 300 times (now that's a workout!). If you notice on the cupcake, I paper pieced the liner and 'frosted' it with Espresso Dimensional Pearls. I also added some sparkle to the flame with my lemon Spica glitter pen.
I created a spine for my box too and added a little chipboard flower to the outside of the plastic film. I figure dimension is ok on the spine because it won't get caught on anything in my cupboard. There's some Fruitpunch Stickles in the middle of the flower and all I did to the chipboard was colour it with my E09 copic marker.
But wait...I haven't even told you the BEST PART yet!!! The Mini Binder Box stands up on it's own so you can use it to display your recipe while you're cooking. Just slip the recipe under the protective plastic wrap on the back of the binder and it won't get dirty or splashed! Woo Hoo!!
The Mini Binder Box is just $9.95 and does NOT come with a cover/spine insert. The covers and spines are now available as a dowload and Taylored Expressions offers a cover for each of the stamp lines, Lasting Impressions, Stamp a Sweet Impression, and Whimsical Wishes for just $2.49 each...you pay once and print them as many times as you want!
The Mini Binder Box is on sale today and tomorrow for 15% off!!!
It's a great time to stock up and save, to get your your supplies organized, or to get started on those hand made gifts for Christmas!

I {heart} my Mini Binder Boxes and I know you will too!!!

Let's see what other fabulous creations the Baker's Dozen designers have come up with using the Mini Binder Box.

Thanks for stopping by!
Karen

17 comments:

Jami said...

Your recipe box is so pretty and so functional! I LOVE the idea of slipping the recipe in the back of the box to read it - too clever! Oh and I also love the photo of your boxes lined up!

Taylor said...

This is amazing, Karen! What a fabulous idea and thank you so much for sharing so many wonderful pictures and details about this fabulous box! Your recipes sound yuuuuuuummmmy too! I hope I find myself with some time to bake very soon! :)

Donna Baker said...

wow! what a FUN way to store recipes! totally can relate to the way your mom cooks, that's how my mom taught me. So, when it came time to write her recipes down (she had already passed on), my sisters and I had to re-create them to write them down. It was worth it! thanks for sharing that chocolate cake recipe, going to have to try it *wink*

Jackie Pedro said...

Holy cow....this is fab, Karen! I am so going to store my nesties in the binder box! Thank you for the wonderful ideas!

Danni said...

Perfect idea for a bride! Wonderful project and I am loving the idea of the nesties in them...off to see about purchasing some...

Sharon Harnist said...

Great ideas, Karen -- Wow, 30 die sets in one box? That IS a fabulous way to store dies!

Monika/Buzsy said...

What a great recipe box. Love the papers and cute images. TFS!

Denise Marzec said...

Oh my gosh, BRILLIANT idea to put the clear covers to use and slide the recipe behind it while cooking!!....seriously GENIUS!!

hayleycreates said...

Super pretty and totally functional. Love that it stands up so you can see the recipe!

The Spotted Chick said...

Whoa! What a GREAT idea Karen! These are so functional, not to mention CUTE as a button! AWESOME job you did with them! Gotta get me some ASAP!

Unknown said...

FABulous idea for the Nesties!!! K now I need them!! :)

Margaret de Witt said...

Totally fabulous Karen, and you gave me a good laugh with your recipe story. :)

Jodi Collins said...

I am in AWE my friend! This is truly a masterpiece! Sensational idea and perfect execution!!!

Sankari W. said...

Holy Moly Ms. Saucy!!! THIS IS AWESOME!!! I LOVE the recipe idea book and the way you did it is fabulous! (great recipes to try later!!) and all those dies in one book is fantasticoooo!!! Will have to try that too!!! Thanks for the awesome inspiration Karen!!!!
big hugs!
Sankari :)

Jamie Pyles said...

Brilliant!!!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

what great uses of that box! Now I'm going to need even more boxes! LOL

Jacilynn said...

Thanks for the great info!
x